Sunday, November 21, 2010

Adjustable Hat

So I was making one of Valerie Whitten's hats from ValliesKids.blogspot.com, and it was working out great. Until I messed with the pattern.

A wise group of knitters I know are wont to say "trust the pattern".

I don't always listen to wise knitters.

This hat is crocheted flat at the crown, so you increase until the hat is a certain size around, then you work in rounds down the sides. The brim is worked as a part of the last few rounds.

When I first began the hat, I added an increase row, because it just didn't seem big enough. When I got down to the brim rows, I tried it on. It was waaaaaaay too big. So I tried going back to the pattern as written (duh) and it was fine. Then I washed it.

Ok, you all know how wool grows when you wash it, right? Well, if you didn't know, here's a little fact about wool: it grows when you wash it. By the time the hat was "done", it was huge, again! So then I had to figure out how to make it fit...
Adjustable hat
I decided to add a strap across the front, similar to another of Valerie's hats, and add some buttons to the sides that would make it adjustable. It worked! I'm so proud of myself!
Adjustable hat
But next time, I'll follow the pattern.

No comments: