Thursday, October 22, 2009

I'm a crafter, by the Grace of God!

I have been attending for the last eight weeks, a group called M.O.M.S. This stands for Ministry of Mothers Sharing. It's a great program, offered at churches all over the country, and is a wonderful way to get together with other moms in a similar or even different life stage than I and compare and share our struggles, and our successes, and our spirituality.

Today we did an inventory of sorts to try and sort out what talents and gifts we have been given by God to use for His Glory (and for our satisfaction) in our lives. I have been given the gift of craftsmanship! Of all the totals, that one was a fifteen, with the next closest being thirteen, teaching.

I have been feeling called lately to start a ministry in my church by using my gift of knitting and crocheting for the good of others who are more needy. I thought I would get together a group of women (or men!) from our parish and make hats, or blankets or whatever we could, to donate to the local shelters, and to the Essential Pregnancy Service, a non profit organization that helps local pregnant women with their pregnancies, offering free pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, classes, etc.

I was not surprised that this would be my talent, but I am always amazed by God's timing. I am finally at a point in my life where I feel I can really give back to those that could use my kind of help! And I am so grateful to be able to use my gifts to their benefit. I will be emailing my priest and hopefully have more information about it soon.

I have recently come up with a pattern for a ribbed crocheted hat, as well, so I'll be testing that one out for our first meeting, hopefully in the next month or two.

I can't tell you how excited I am by this! And just so grateful.

No comments: